Monday, November 25, 2013

Because It's Cold...

... I bring you my first posted ever plaid design. 

I say first posted, because this is my second real attempt at the design. The first one was so messy and embarrassing I dared not post it for you. 

Not that this one is perfect - far from it. But as I intend to keep at it, I figured I'd share my path here with you all.

After my Reindeer Jumper design from yesterday and my confession to you about how I struggled hard with horizontal lines, I decided to tackle that difficulty by putting on my big girl's pants and going for an also scary (to me) plaid design ;)

Winter has arrived to Portugal and temperatures are freezing. And let's face it: there's nothing like a cozy plaid blanket to cover your legs and toes while watching a movie or reading a book in good company.

With that in mind, I came up with this:




I started by deciding to pick up a couple nail polishes I hadn't worn much lately and which beauty I had kinda forgotten. Does this happen to you?
Sometimes I forget I have 'old' polishes that look amazingly, apply amazingly and match my skin tone amazingly. Duh! ;)




So, for this one, I picked up Purple Professional No.56 for my base colour.
It's the perfect lilac-almost-pink-but-not-really shade and it applies beautifully and evenly in one coat (if your nail are short the way mine are now).




I then took Zoya Malia and a striper brush and did my vertical lines first and then my horizontal ones over those.
You can still see some shaking and they're not 100% yet, BUT if I dare say so myself: I think there's an improvement! ;)




For the hot pink squares I chose Ciatè Kiss Chase and used a dotting tool to make them.
Overall, I think the lines in the pattern ended up a bit too thin but, like I said, it's a work in progress ;)




I then went over the purple lines with white. And to finish it all I did the black lines over the lilac bits. 
For both of these I used my new Flormar Nail Art stripers.



 
I bought a couple stripers from Flormar - black & white to be specific - and I gotta say I'm actually loving them! :)
The brush is really thin and the polish doesn't
easily get too thick around the bottle's neck, which considering how many lines I had to make for this design is quite a positive point! :D
I wanted the lines to be really thin, but I guess I ended up having too little polish on the brush.


Still, I'm pretty much in love with this attempt - not too shaby, I'd say ;)So, what do you think? Does this one count as a successful attempt?
Let me know in the comments and make sure you start the week with a huge smile!! :D
 

Hugs & Kissies,
Mina *

14 comments:

  1. How funny! I posted tartan nails today too. Yours are way better than mine though. I didn't even do the final lines because I was too worried I would mess it all up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've matched! hahaha :)
      I still love your look and I prefer your larger lines than my skinny ones ;)

      Delete
  2. YES, Definitely a success! Honey, I am loving the colors you used so much! Soft pink and purples and contrasting black lines. Lovely :) You are really getting a hang of lines <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sur ehope so, but they're hard ones to get ;)
      Thank you for your ever motivating comments, sweetie - they help loads! <3

      Delete
  3. Wow. I love your design. It looks like it's glowing or being lit from underneath if that makes sense. I'm so jealous I could spit, but I won't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle your comment just made me smile and laugh real hard! hahaha
      Thank you!! :D

      Delete
  4. Absolute perfection! oh I just love your designs Mina :D x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, sweetie - same can be said by me about yours :D

      Delete
  5. I can't imagine that the last time you tried plaid was SUCH a disaster, because these ones are SUCH a success! Your lines are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It so was! Believe me - the lines were unbelievably (and horribly) too large ;)
      Thank you for your sweet comment, though! It keeps me going! :D

      Delete
  6. VERY succesful! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes of course, Mina :) Love it.

    ReplyDelete

You just made this girl smile! Thank you for your comment and for sharing your thoughts with me! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...